Tuesday, August 4, 2009


The Old and the Restless by Jamil Taylor


Athletes come in all shapes and sizes, but age is something that often gets in the way of performing well. Athletes such as Brett Farve, Jamie Moyer, and Lance Armstrong, however, do their jobs very well especially considering their ages. I believe that older athletes work harder and strive to be better than the average professional athlete, and that young athletes should look up to them.

Many sports have considered age limits. Older players can step in to help train and win games because they have so much experience. Older players also help with ticket sales because they are often heroes to a lot of people. An age limit would be ridiculous in a lot of sports because there is no telling what someone can do if they work hard. In the case of Lance Armstrong, he even battled cancer and still rides. Also, older players should know their own limits and putting on imposed limits could mess up their career plans.

I respect older athletes because they are brave, courageous, and have a lot of heart to continue playing.

6 comments:

Dan said...

Great article! I think it was Ted Williams or Hank Aaron who said "By the time you know what to do, you're too old to do it"

Ms. B. on August 5, 2009 at 2:01 PM said...

Mil,

We know how you feel about age limits (and I complete agree, my favorite baseball players are 'old'), but what about an age minimum? Remember those girls from China in the Olympics this year who many thought were 12 instead of 14 (the legal age to compete in gymnastic in the Olympics) . What about kids who are under the age of 18 and always competing on the road, do you believe there should be a minimum? Who decides this?
Just curious.

- Ms. Kristy

Anonymous said...

Hey, Jamil, I like the older athletes too, because, well, I'm kind of old myself. But your article seems to be only about professional athletes. What about the millions of people of all ages who engage in sports just for the enjoyment of playing. They're not going to make a lot of money and crowds of people aren't going to come to watch them, let alone pay to watch them, but aren't they athletes also? Aren't sports and exercise something for everyone regardless of age and ability? I think that sports and exercise can be part of a well-rounded life for everyone, not just the the highly skilled professionals, don't you?

Bob

The Urban Youth Association on August 6, 2009 at 7:49 AM said...

What a great article. I love how you support your topic with precise, relevant, and thoughtful examples. Your concluding sentence brings the article back to where you began, which is excellent.

I agree that younger players can and should look up to older players since they have so much more experience. And I also like your idea of how older or aging athletes can serve as trainers or mentors.

colby said...

What a great article. I love how you support your topic with precise, relevant and thoughtful examples. Your concluding sentences refers back to the beginning, which is excellent.

I agree with you. Younger players should look up to older players. They have experience and stories to share and pass on. I also like your idea that older athletes can act as trainers or mentors. Just because they may be older doesn't mean that they should be forgotten about, right?

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamil,
I wanted to let you know that I agree 100% percent with you about the older athletes. I agree that the younger players should look up to the older players. I play lacrosse here at Temple and I've always looked up to my older teammates because they have more experiences and know what is coming at us. I do like how you say that the older athletes can be seen as trainers as well. This is a great article.

Post a Comment